Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Diamond in the Rough

On my recent annual trip to my "home away from home", San Francisco, Ca, I got to spend one day snapping great photos for my portfolio in West Oakland. Sure, the city is one to be dealt as it's a rough diamond that has yet to be discovered. Naturally, I was scouting the area for some good eats as I was working up quite an appetite. Then along my snapping journey, I came across this stand alone "modern day" soul food restaurant, Brown Sugar Kitchen. What I admired the most was that this hot spot cooks with locally grown, organic and seasonal ingredients whenever possible. The delicious baked goods and hot entrees are inspired by Tanya Holland's interpretation of soul food. Her influences are a concoction of her African American heritage, her formal training at Le Varenne Ecole de Cuisine in France and her general appreciation for a wide variety of cuisines. You can definitely taste the love in each bite! So next time you take a trip over to the San Francisco area, I highly recommend you treat yourself to something so good!





Sweet West Oakland

2534 Mandela Parkway
Oakland, California 94007

No comments:

Post a Comment